One thing I have observed about all pre-release builds of Windows is that almost all builds have secret hidden features which you can enable to test them out. The Technical Preview of Windows 10 also comes with a secret feature called Notification Center. Let's see what it is and how to enable it.
To enable the Notification Center, you need to follow the following instructions:
- Download the required files: 9841NotificationCenter.zip
- Create a new folder, C:\NotificationCenter
- Copy the appropriate file, notificationact.dll (from the x86 or x64 folder, depending on the Windows edition you are running) to the C:\NotificationCenter\ folder.
- Double click the notifyactids.reg file to merge it with the Registry.
- Next, double click the notifyclassids.reg file.
If you get access denied errors, you might need to get ownership and full access the following registry keys:
Use Winaero's very own RegOwnershipEx tool for that purpose. It allows you to get ownership and full access to any Registry key with one click.
Now simply run Notification.exe and the Notification Center will pop-up.
You can also run Notification.exe from the command line and append a number to select a corner:
notification 0 – top left
notification 1 – bottom left
notification 2 – top right
notification 3 – bottom right (default)
Here is the notification center in action: